Saturday, February 26, 2011

A Father's Regret: Billy Ray Cyrus



I recently came across an article about the celebrity Miley Cyrus and her father's regrets of how he had raised her over at Focus on the Family. You can read the story here:


He shares this quote:

"How many interviews did I give and say, 'You know what's important between me and Miley is I try to be a friend to my kids'? I said it a lot. And sometimes I would even read other parents might say, 'You don't need to be a friend, you need to be a parent.' Well, I'm the first guy to say to them right now: You were right. I should have been a better parent. I should have said, 'Enough is enough--it's getting dangerous and somebody's going to get hurt.' I should have, but I didn't. Honestly, I didn't know the ball was out of bounds until it was way up in the stands somewhere."

My heart is truly saddened for this father whose daughter has been launched into stardom realizing what he could have done best the first time around--I believe that it is so important to protect our children--especially our daughters. Daughters can be very naive and vulnerable to the world and truly need to rely upon parental guidance even when they don't think that they need it. I also believe that a father can continue to protect a daughter even after she has turned eighteen. Whether daughters live in the home or not, fathers can still play an active role in their daughter's lives through their active love relationship with  them and giving them much-needed, valuable, wise advice.

This should be a wake up call to parents who believe that it is good to be 'friends' with their children and not a parent. Children really do need a parent to be a parent and not a friend--as the article wisely states they will have many friends in a lifetime but only one set of parents. Many times parents can grow weary, feeling like they are alone in their parenting, that they are the only ones setting rules and limitations. A man will reap what he sows,  that is why it is important to remember that we do these things to bring God glory and not to please man---even  if the rest of the world is not doing it.

The image above reminds me how a young daughter adores her father and needs protection. While Billy Ray and Miley made mistakes, just as we all have, we need to really pray for this family and other families that are going through the same circumstances. It is not out of his hands as a father--he can still love her, protect her, guide her and reclaim their relationship. His broken family can be made whole again--with Christ there is always grace, forgiveness and hope.

If you have a wayward child, it is NEVER too late. Chase after them with all your might and do what you can to gain their hearts--our time here on earth is too short. Do it to win him/her for the King.

We also want to avoid any regrets since the window of raising children is also short.
Though we are imperfect as parents
May we learn from another man's mistakes
as we pray for him
and persevere in our convictions
and do our best
without growing weary

in raising our children
for His glory.



*********************

No comments:

Post a Comment