Monday, June 13, 2011

Purposeful Summer Planning


Every year when summer rolls around  I love planning out a list of goals and such to accomplish. I am a list person by nature and therefore thrive under organized conditions. I have realized that summers can quickly be over in a blink of an eye so I must be careful to seize the opportunity that lies ahead since the new school year will be upon us before I know it.

I also like to plan goals because I see that my children do well with goals as well. Structure is a good thing and without it all can become amiss in our bustling household.  While I love the laziness of a summer schedule and do plan in several days of glorious nothingness, I especially look forward to including those things that my normal schedule does not allow much time for. I usually have two categories--the things that need to get done and things I would personally love to do.

Here is a quick glimpse of some goals on my summer agenda:

  • Domestic: practice new recipes to add to our repertoire, garden, canning, redecorating, organizing garage, repaint homeschool room, redecorate/paint certain rooms, train puppy, hold a garage sale, organize/purge toys, make special summer memories
  • Children: emphasis on character/scripture, listen to sermons, go through book studies, summer chores, music, typing, travel, summer reading lists, and plenty of fun, possibly launch a business
  • Family Ministry: hospitality, baking for unsaved neighbors, reaching out and focusing more on loving people, mentoring and praying about potential nursing home ministry, (did you know my husband used to be a part of a prison ministry and preach to those in jail?), serving in our community
  • Online goals: This category has expanded for me with my blog, consulting and other endeavors. My list for this category is a bit extensive at the moment so I will spare you from all the lengthy (and exciting) details! I do have it all written out systematically so that I can accomplish what I'd like to see done, if the Lord allows.
  
I know some categories might go undone and I am perfectly fine with that--the point is for me to just have a plan and to try to accomplish what we can! I personally like to look at time as a precious commodity and gift from God--something definitely not to be squandered on a larger scale! I also find satisfaction in knowing I did not waste the fleeting summer days.
      Whatever you have planned this summer--make sure first to pray about it! The Lord may direct you in an entirely different path and you will want to be flexible. Maybe your list only includes two or three things and that is just fine. We are all different and will have different goals for our family--whatever you do, take advantage of the time to do something special for both yourself and your family.

      Have fun planning out your summer and celebrating the season doing what is important to you!




      Here is a look back at my previous summer goals:


      Large Family Summer Scheduling



      What do you have planned this summer?




























      Are you encouraged here? I personally invite you to subscribe and get the latest posts sent to your inbox or RSS feed! Also, connect with us on Facebook and Twitter and get updates that are not posted here on the blog.












      No comments:

      Post a Comment