Wednesday, March 2, 2011

When Life is Hurried



The sun is down and the moon is up, little teeth are brushed and jammies are on. Bible story is read, prayers are said, and off they go, shuffling down the hall.

Do one thing, then the next, and the next, then off to bed.

Kiss on the forehead and turn out the light.
 
I find myself hurrying through our routine. It's my time to get evening chores done, and the sink needs scrubbing, coffee pot needs setting, email needs checking.

But there's a quiet voice from a sleepy boy who is standing in the doorway: "Mommy, can I sleep with you?" he whispers.

"Not tonight, honey," I reply. I look into his eyes; they are turned down, he feels rejected. It pierces me.

"Come here and let me hold you for awhile," I say.

He crawls up into my arms.

I rock him, sing softly to him... remembering what it was like to hold him when he was so much smaller, just a baby, with wrinkled skin and rosy cheeks and clear eyes. He's not a baby anymore, he's six, but he's still my baby and always will be.

As he begins to fall asleep, I nudge him. "Let me carry you to bed and I'll lay with you there for a little while."

We crawl into his bed and I draw up the covers, snuggling in. I kiss his little boy cheeks, rub his head, trace my finger on his nose.

After awhile, when his breathing is steady and slow, I inch to the edge of the bed and gingerly, gently, slip one of my legs out from under the covers. So much to get done…

His little hand clenches my shirt.

"Don't go," he whispers.

And so I stay awhile longer.

***

Time with our loved ones slips by so quickly; Lord, help us to treasure, savor, embrace every moment.

Will you make a special effort to be fully present and linger with those dear to you today?



Jaime is a daughter of the King, minister's wife, and homeschooling mother. She writes about biblical womanhood, homemaking, and whole foods at Like a Bubbling Brook. 
Be sure to pop by and say hello!


A big thank you to Jaime for guest posting here today--she is also one of the new contributors to our sister site, The Homeschool Corner and has a new post there today as well that you won't want to miss, so make sure you stop by there too!


********************

This post is linked at Raising Homemakers, Far Above Rubies and Women Living Well.

No comments:

Post a Comment