Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The Truth About Discontentment



"If only we could have a bigger home, a bigger salary, an extra car, better appliances, obedient children--then I would be happy. It seems like everyone else has these things, why can't I?"

The young mother grumbles under her breath as she attempts to clean her tiny home. She has rehearsed this in her mind so many times and now she is entertaining these thoughts:

"If only my husband would work harder"

"If only I had married someone else"

"I can't stand being around the children" 

"Why is my life so hard?"

Then she becomes depressed and discouraged, often crying herself to sleep at night.


Her husband comes home and they argue about money and she is quite irritable with children too.

But the truth is that this dear mama needs to guard her heart.

"Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it." Proverbs 4:23

And she needs to take captive her thoughts:

"and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ." 2 Corinthians 10:5

We have to check our discontentment---is it leading me to do good and change my life and behavior for the better or is it causing me to sin in my own life, against others and my God?

And when materialistic discontentment rears its ugly head in our lives, we also need to ask ourselves the hard questions..

Am I discontent with what the Lord has given me?

This is a hard truth to wrestle with, but at the end of the day, do I pass the test of thankfulness?

Because if ultimately everything I have is because of Him, I need to acknowledge that. Whether it is good or bad.  I also need to acknowledge that if I am discontent and unhappy with what He has provided that day then that is sinning against Him. Is He and His grace not enough (2 Cor 12:9)? Am I not thankful with the food and shelter He provided (Matthew 6:25-34)?


"Godliness with contentment is great gain." 1 Timothy 6:6


Sinful thoughts in us can lead us to tearing down our homes and wives,  Satan as well would love to steal the joy from us and our flesh is weak. He would love for the root of bitterness to grow in our lives. We can become prime targets aiding his attempts to destroy the our homes--and know that he will try to sneak his way in their somewhere! We cannot and should not allow it.

So next time, dear ladies, when you find yourself in the seat of discontentment, ask yourself if you are thankful with what He provided that day.

Examine your hearts to get to the bottom of the motive of your thinking and ask the Lord to shed His light and truth on your situation.


******************

 
















Are you encouraged here? I personally invite you to subscribe and get the latest posts sent to your inbox. Also, connect with us on Facebook and Twitter and get updates that are not posted here on the blog.







No comments:

Post a Comment