Thursday, August 2, 2012

Homemade Recipe: Baked Kale Chips


You might remember earlier this year, my husband went on a juice fast for 60 days and lived to tell about it. Well, I wanted to be a supportive wife and grow some kale in our garden for him since that was one of the key ingredients in his juicing and so that he would always have it available whenever our farmers market was out.

We grew a lot, and I didn't know what to do with it. I had never grown up eating kale (kale? what's that?) so I didn't have any experience with it there. Steve liked to go to the garden and eat it raw and so did my kids and the neighborhood kids. I was glad to know they were enjoying this superfood right in our backyard, but what to do with the rest?


 (some kale from my garden)

Now I've found the answer! Super easy and the kids love it---baked kale chips. Sounds strange, right? Don't knock it until you try it! I whipped up a batch and they gobbled that up in a flash so they requested that I make another batch. That was gone instantly too.

I think we found a winner.

Here is the recipe. Just three ingredients and so simple!

Baked Kale Chips

Ingredients

  • 1 bunch kale
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon seasoned salt

Directions

  1. Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a non insulated cookie sheet with parchment paper.
  2. With a knife or kitchen shears carefully remove the leaves from the thick stems and tear into bite size pieces. Wash and thoroughly dry kale with a salad spinner. Drizzle kale with olive oil and sprinkle with seasoning salt. 
  3. Bake until the edges brown but are not burnt, 10 to 15 minutes. 

I was told you could also use water in this recipe instead of oil and use different toppings such as garlic powder, crushed almonds, etc. Experiment with cooking time and how much oil you use, it can make all the difference.

I also found this link to make kale 10 different healthy ways. You can throw it in soup, spaghetti, casseroles, and a whole bunch of other ways.



Do you have a special recipe for kale that you'd like to share? I'd love to hear from you!


















Are you encouraged here? I personally invite you to subscribe and get the latest posts sent to your inbox. Also, connect with us on Facebook and Twitter and get updates that are not posted here on the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment