Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Christmas Gifts I'm NOT Buying

I don't get out into the stores much these days but you can imagine my surprise as I stumbled across these toys:


I saw this one in a sales flyer while at home. If you click on the image you can see that she has fangs like a vampire. I promptly showed it to my daughter who was sitting next to me and said "Did you see this new toy for girls?" and she looked and said "I've seen that before, it's everywhere."

Everywhere? Where have I been? You mean this is what they are selling to our children in the doll section nowadays?????

When I did a quick Google search I found that this line of dolls made it to several Top 10 Hottest Christmas Toys for 2011 online. I even found video of tiny little girls putting on makeup and trying to be like them.

While I looked further down the list I saw Harry Potter items-which won't make it into our home, nor movie tickets to see the latest Twilight movie: Breaking Dawn.

Later today, while on Facebook I also stumbled upon someone sharing this image of a Christmas toy:



Yes, I was infuriated. I had heard in the past about classes teaching girls pole dancing and now they have a doll. Really---I am afraid of what they'll think of next. 


Some popular clothing to also avoid would be writing across the bottom of clothing of pants saying things like "juicy", "sexy", etc. As parents we need to think twice before buying just anything for our daughters, I have seen this on really, really young girls in the past and this sends the wrong message to men and to the daughters themselves.



I am not writing this because I am self-righteous---because I am a sinner myself and by grace I have been saved. I have made alot of mistakes in the past (still do) and I really wish someone would have taken the time to lovingly say something.

But instead, I am writing this because I am sad AND I am mad.

I do not want other children, or mine, exposed to this but I know this world is becoming increasingly evil. I know that I won't probably be able to even fathom what my grandchildren will be up against in their generation. We need to be purposeful and wise about what we give and don't give our children. We need to think long-term about the choices we make today affecting generations tomorrow.

I am also sad because I know that people need Jesus (like me). Badly (like me). Which is why we need to commit ourselves to sharing Him even MORE with vigilance and compassion.

I'm mad because Satan is getting his way with our children and we are allowing it. When did we leave our posts? When did we stop noticing? When did we stop caring? My heart hurts as I think about this, but I know that in the end he does not get the victory.




Christ does. 


So until then, I will keep praying.

I will keep teaching. 

I will keep training. 

I will keep writing 

and FLOOD this world online and off 

with Christian influence the best I know how.




Ladies, are you with me?








******************


Need a place to get God-honoring resources and gifts?
Click HERE.


Get gifts for boys HERE and HERE,


for girls HERE!



















Are you encouraged here? I personally invite you to subscribe and get the latest posts sent to your inbox. Also, connect with us on Facebook and Twitter and get updates that are not posted here on the blog.







No comments:

Post a Comment