Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Ungodly Influences


Last year I shared with you a post on Twilight and got quite a response.

I even shared with you a video by Pastor Mark Driscoll, where he shared his unbelief about the top books for teenagers over at Amazon and the witchcraft aimed at our children today.

We know the days are more evil and we really need to be on guard about what is out there, how subtly it can slip into our homes, and influence us and our family away from the Lord to sin. Just yesterday I was at the mall and plastered everywhere was this:



This is the latest TV show called The Secret Circle, it is about a 16 year old girl who finds out she is a witch and is just another movie aimed at indoctrinating our daughters and sons. We should not be surprised and expect this only to be commonplace in our culture from now on.

Satanic influences be found in movies, books, tv shows, radio, internet, blogs, YouTube videos and the list goes on. We have to remember that everything we watch teaches a lesson in something. It is imperative that we guard ourselves and teach our children to as well.  It can even come in subtle forms and we might not even realize it, these are just as dangerous.

I remember when I first got saved as a young housewife I would watch a family comedy TV show that "seemed harmless'. I though it was all good at first, but then noticed that the wife constantly berated, undermined, manipulated, fought with, and controlled her husband. Then, my husband would come home from work and I would notice little things that I would say to him that were like the wife in the TV show. Coincidence? I think not.

I was learning a lesson and imitated what I had learned. I didn't even realize I was doing it at first, but then began to realize how the influence of the show had affected me. When I stopped watching the show, I noticed the difference in how I treated or responded to my husband. The influence of the show led me to disrespect my husband, sin against God and tear down my home. Sure, my sin nature was totally responsible, but I was subtly influenced by what I was taking in.

In the past, I have shared with you how got rid of and tossed things out of our home. We did this because they didn't fit in with our new life. We did this because we knew that changes needed to be made in order to live a godly life.  We didn't want to keep things around that would cause us, our children, or those around us, to stumble.

We have to always remember that there is a real and powerful spiritual battle going on. As I began looking deeper into the topic of the influence of darkness I have realized that there is so much I want to discuss and cover --perhaps in October I will do a mini series.

In the meantime, if you would like a topic discussed or covered, please feel free to leave it in the comments. Also, please share what you think of these new teen TV shows like The Secret Circle...


I'd love to hear your thoughts!



***********************

Are you encouraged here? I personally invite you to subscribe and get the latest posts sent to your inbox. Also, connect with us on Facebook and Twitter and get updates that are not posted here on the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment